Paella on the Skottle
Rooftop camping means the freedom of the outdoors, fresh air with nature as your backdrop, and dining al fresco! And just because you're camping doesn't mean your food has to be simple. Time to get international thanks to TemboTusk's The Essential Skottle Grill Cookbook and Adrienne Lubbe of South Africa for sharing her slightly challenging version of Paella, Spain's most famous comfort dish!
Makes: 8-10 Servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 60 minutes
Source: Adrienne Lubbe, South Africa
3-4 Tablespoons olive oil
2 Onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, crushed with salt
1 large red pepper, cut into stripes
3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
2 cups of frozen peas
2 cups of rice
2 Chicken stock cubes
2 cups of boiling water (plus more as needed)
1 teaspoon turmeric
Salt and pepper
8 Chicken legs, roasted with spices
1 Large packet shelled cleaned prawns (prawns in shell optional)
1 Large packet of mussels in half-shells
1 Packet calamari rings
1 Small packet marinara mix
1 Chorizo sausage, sliced
1 Lemon, sliced into wedges
Lid or tinfoil
- Heat olive oil on Skottle and fry onions, garlic, and red peppers till soft.
- Add rice and cook for 1 minute.
- Dissolve chicken stock cube and numeric in boiling water.
- Add liquid to Skottle and cover with lid or foil. Allow cooking for about 15 minutes.
- Check frequently to make sure the rice isn't sticking to the pan. Add more liquid throughout if required.
- Add chopped tomatoes, then frozen peas—season with salt and pepper.
- Add chicken legs and allow to heat through.
- Then add prawns, mussels, marinara mix, and chorizo.
- Allow everything to heat through and cook for 5-10 minutes.
- Let excess moisture cook off without a lid or foil covering it.
- Lastly, add lemon wedges to the top.
- Serve with a green salad and crispy bread.